Thursday, April 10, 2008

What we say matters!

Words are so powerful. A word spoken can either draw a person close to you or chase them away, either bring a smile to a tearful face or bring a tear to a smiling face, can make a friend for life or make an enemy for life. Words are extremely powerful and even more powerful is the tongue that brings the words out or the pen that pens the words! How careful we must be with the words that come from our mouth. We have all been hurt in some way or the other by the words of someone we love and we have all been blessed many times over because someone took the time to say the kind words that he or she did.

This morning I was reminded of the use of words, by my husband. I had made lunch for my husband to take to work, this morning. We had talked about the lunch while he was eating breakfast. When he finally left to work, he forgot to take his lunch with him. I called him up to let him know that he forgot to carry his lunch but I said, "...after all that, you forgot your lunch." I meant that after talking about the lunch, you still forgot it. I didn't mean much else by it but he understood it as me giving him a guilt trip after I went through all the trouble of making the lunch. We talked about it and I explained that I didn't mean that. This incident reminded me that I need to be very careful in my choice of words - my carelessness can hurt another person and many times I may not even realize it.

I know that as girls we talk a lot. They say that we use about 10,000 words a day. How easy it is for us to say something that we shouldn't in the course of our talking. If we think through the words we say or the expressions that we use or the topics that we talk about, we probably won't end up saying half the things that we do! I remember someone telling me that when you are really upset or angry at someone, before speaking to that person, write a letter with what you are feeling and then tear it up.If we all did that what a better place this world would be! I am sure that there would be happier marriages, relationships, families, work places, churches and on and on the list goes! I know that I am guilty of this very thing and yes! I do need to work on myself. One of my weaknesses is to say things when I am upset and it is something that I am working on - I do have a long way to go!

A couple of suggestions to help you watch your tongue:

1. Start the day asking God to be in charge of all your conversations.
Psalm 19:14
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." (The Message)

2. Think twice or even thrice before speaking a word. Do not be careless with your words.
Proverbs 13:3
"Careful words make for a careful life; careless talk may ruin everything."(The Message)

3. Remember that it is always better to say something nice and encouraging to a person than to say a single mean word! It will also make you happier!
Proverbs 15:4
"Kind words heal and help; cutting words wound and maim." (The Message)
4. When you are upset or mad at someone or when someone hurts you, write down your thoughts on a piece of paper and tear it up before talking to the person. Don't talk to a friend who will agree with everything that you say rather a friend who will be objective and honest and will encourage you to say and do what is right. I can assure you that in the long run you will be a happier and more joyful person.
Proverbs 15:1
"A gentle response defuses anger, but a sharp tongue kindles a temper-fire."
Proverbs 19:11
"Smart people know how to hold their tongue; their grandeur is to forgive and forget." (The Message)


So girls, my prayer for each one of you and for myself is that God will grant us the self control necessary to place a bridle on our tongues so that we will not hurt anyone by our loose tongues. I also pray that each one of you reading this will be blessed today by someone who uses their tongue to bless rather than curse!

2 comments:

lizsimu said...

Also the negative words spoken over you can have horrendous effect on you e.g. a doctors grim prognosis. When negative words are spoken it is important to reject those words and beleive the good that God says of who you are in him. Although it is difficult it sometimes helps to say out loud positive words that enable us to personalise them to our own situation.

Elizabeth

susan said...

chechi, kollalo... now i can tell everyone that i have an ezhuthukari chechi.Achachen also said he liked this very much.